SART examiners from Queens Hospital Center and Elmhurst Hospital Center discuss what to expect from post-sexual assault care, the importance of sensitive, nonjudgmental treatment and why SAFE (Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner) Centers of Excellence are crucial to HHC communities across New York City.
Our experienced, skilled staff provides victims of sexual assault with the expert, sensitive care they need. All of our acute care hospitals have been designated by the New York State Health Department as SAFE Centers of Excellence, where sexual assault victims receive care within one hour of their arrival.
Sexual Assault Response Teams in New York City
HHC has specially trained Sexual Assault Response Teams (SART) in every hospital Emergency Department who provide immediate services. SART teams include:
- Forensic examiners, who perform a thorough evaluation, including a physical examination and taking down your medical history. A forensic examination helps ensure your health and safety and collects evidence of the crime.
- Rape crisis counselors, dedicated to helping you recovery physically and emotionally
SART programs, which operate around the clock, can minimize trauma to the victim. SART also reduces the risk that critical evidence will be lost, damaged or overlooked.
HHC SAFE Centers of Excellence
The SART staff members at our SAFE Centers of Excellence have gone through intensive training and are approved by the New York State Department of Health. Their tasks include:
- Properly identifying, collecting and packaging forensic evidence
- Accurately documenting injuries
- Attending to the emotional needs of rape victims
All SAFE Centers must meet standards that have been established by the New York State Department of Health working with a team of experts in the field.
All of our hospitals have SAFE Centers of Excellence. Find an HHC hospital near you.