Summer Streets is all about you! You choose how to use the street space to - play, walk, bike, or just breathe.
What to Bring
- Bring a water bottle filled with water (there will be Water-on-the-Go stations along the route for refills).
- Wear sunscreen.
- Bring a camera.
- Bring a Metrocard just in case you need a lift getting home.
- A snugly fitting helmet (required by law if you're under 14, a good idea for everyone!)
- Patch kit, pump and tire levers (there will be bike repair stations, but it's always good to be prepared)
- A bike bell is required by law for all bikes
- A bike lock if you want to stop along the way
- A bike map (call 311 or visit a local bike shop for a free copy, we'll also have some at the event)
Tips for Making Summer Streets Fun for Everyone
With many walkers, joggers, bikers and skaters traveling at different speeds, the best way to keep yourself and others safe is to remain alert and respect the people around you.
- Stay aware of all users sharing the space with you.
- We recommend not wearing headphones during Summer Streets.
- Be mindful of children and older folks along the route.
- Stay hydrated!
Keep dogs on a short leash at all times.
Cyclists and Skaters
- Pedestrians always have the right of way.
- Keep right, pass left.
- Look and signal before changing lanes.
- Always ride in the direction of traffic and obey all posted traffic signs and regulations.
- Never bike, skate or rollerblade on the sidewalk!