The NYC Department of Veterans' Services (DVS) supports veterans and their families who are experiencing financial hardships due to delays in receiving benefits, unemployment, illness, injury, or an unexpected life event. DVS connects veterans in need of income support to emergency assistance programs, branch-specific aid, and more. We also connect veterans and their families to emergency financial assistance programs that offer cash assistance to help cover overdue bills, rent, utilities, and more.
Connect to income support by filling out the VetConnectNYC form and selecting "Income Support" as your preferred service:
Request Services on VetConnectNYC
See below for a list of income support resources and emergency financial assistance:
Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.
Emergency Financial Assistance
- The Hope For The Warriors' Critical Care Coordination program offers financial support and education to post 9/11 veterans, military families, and survivors of trauma who have experienced a loss of income due to:
- Delays in disability claims processing
- Unexpected expenses
- Visit Mission 22 for a comprehensive list of organizations that are providing financial assistance to veterans experiencing financial setbacks.
- The VFW is offering emergency cash assistance to qualifying veterans, military members, and families.
- NYC Human Resources Administration's NYC Cash Assistance program offers cash for families in need.
- The PENFED Foundation's Military Heroes Fund provides emergency financial assistance for wounded, ill, and injured post 9-11 combat veterans who are experiencing an unexpected financial setback over the past one to three months.
- Operation Homefront offers veterans financial assistance for critical family needs including overdue bills and home repairs.
- The One Shot Deal allows NYC residents to apply for a one-time emergency grant that can be used for assistance with rent, utility bills, and disaster expenses.
- Air Force: The Air Force Aid Society provides no-interest loans and grants to Air Force service members and Air Force families who experience unexpected financial emergencies.
- Army: Army Emergency Relief offers emergency financial assistance to Army reservists, Army service members who are on active duty or retired, and surviving family members.
- Coast Guard: The Coast Guard Mutual Assistance provides emergency grants to Coast Guard service members experiencing an emergency.
- Navy-Marine: The Navy-Marine Corps Marine Society provides interest-free loans and grants to active-duty service members and retired veterans. The organization also offers financial counseling.
- National Guard: American Red Cross Financial Assistance offers emergency funds to active duty service members, members of an activated National Guard or Reserve unit, and veterans. Immediate family members of active-duty service members, as well as spouse and widow(er)s of a veteran, are also eligible.
Freelancers, Artists, and Tipped Service Workers