Queens Community Board 6311Search all NYC.gov websites


What is now Forest Hills and Rego Park, 350 years ago was called Whitepot. English settlers bought the land from the Native Americans for three white clay pots and the name stuck. In 1653, within the settlement of Middleburgh near what is now Grand Avenue and Queens Boulevard and 50 years before Queens would become a county, some of the original colonists created a permanent settlement a few miles east to trade with the local Mespat tribes.