Present day Forest Hills started in 1906 when successful businessman Cord Meyer purchased 600 acres of farmland in Whitepot. Meyer renamed the area Forest Hills in deference to Forest Park and because it was the highest point for miles around.
Forest Hills community is comprised of both low and high density residential buildings. Curved streets and Tudor style buildings cover the neighborhoods mid-section, which is taken up by a planned community named Forest Hills Gardens. There are also many rental, co-op and condominium apartment complexes throughout Forest Hills. In addition, there are three distinct shopping areas; Austin Street/Continental Avenue is known for its small shops as well as its chain stores and diversity in restaurants. 108th Street is a local shopping area also known for its Russian specialties. Metropolitan Avenue is known for its specialty shops, restaurants and antique stores.