Police Officers Michael Buczek and Christopher Hoban Honored with New NYPD Launch

June 18, 2018

The NYPD remembered Police Officers Michael Buczek and Christopher Hoban, by naming a police harbor launch after them. Harbor Launch 455 is the fifth 45-foot rescue boat-medium in its class within the Department’s fleet, with a 14 ½ foot beam and nearly three and a half foot draft. Unique to Launch 455 are the dual Volvo D13 engines with 800 horsepower and a top speed of more than 42 knots. The launch has a capacity to hold up to 24 people in 12 foot seas.

“These two NYPD cops, who didn’t know each other in life, have become inseparable in the 30 years since their deaths,” said Police Commissioner James P. O’Neill. “They worked in different commands, but they wore the same uniform. They shared the same mission and they both believed in this department, in this city, and most importantly, in the people they served. This vessel will serve as another lasting reminder of the service, courage, and sacrifice these men embodied during their careers. This launch is now part of their legacies, and it’s a symbol of the cause to which these heroes devoted their lives.”

On the evening of October 18, 1988, Police Officer Christopher Hoban and Police Officer Michael Jermyn, assigned to Manhattan North Narcotics, entered an apartment building on West 105th Street as part of an undercover operation. Two suspects entered the building along with the officers. After entering the building, the officers met a third suspect inside. The suspects believed that Hoban and Jermyn were police officers and the suspects searched them for weapons, finding Officer Jermyn’s service weapon. Officer Hoban pulled out his weapon and a shootout ensued. Police Officer Hoban was shot in the head and chest. One suspect was killed. Officer Hoban was rushed to Saint Luke’s Medical Center where he died. Police Officer Hoban was 26-years-old and had been with the department for four years. He was survived by his parents and two brothers.

Less than three hours later that same evening, Police Officer Michael Buczek and Police Officer Joseph Barbato, assigned to the 34 Precinct, were completing a radio assignment at a building on 161st Street near Broadway. The officers observed several men engaged in what they believed to be a drug transaction. The males fled as the officers pursued them. As the chase ensued, suspect turned and fired at the officers, striking Officer Buczek in the chest. Officer Barbato returned fire and attempted to render aid to Officer Buczek. Officer Buzcek was transported to Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital where he died shortly after. Police Officer Michael Buczek was 24-years-old and had served more than three years protecting New York. He was survived by his wife, parents, brother and sister.