Correction officers under supervision, maintain security within correctional facilities and is responsible for the custody, control, care, job training and work performance of detainees of detention and sentenced correctional facilities; performs related work.
- Supervises detainee meals, visits, recreational programs, and other congregate activities.
- Inspects assigned areas for conditions which threaten safety and security; conducts searches in order to detect contraband.
- Completes forms and reports; maintains appropriate logs.
- Communicates with other area Correction Officers to exchange pertinent information.
- Issues verbal orders, announcements and explanations to detainees.
- Observes detainees and makes recommendations concerning medical and/or psychiatric referrals.
- Safeguards Departmental supplies and equipment.
- Escorts detainees within and outside of the facility including their transportation in department vehicles.
**The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.