1) Education and Experience Requirements: By the time you are appointed to this position, you must have:
Note: If you were educated outside the United States, you must have your foreign education evaluated to determine its equivalence to education obtained in the United States. You will receive instructions from the Department of Correction during the pre-employment screening process regarding the approved evaluation services that you may use for foreign education.
2) Citizenship: You must be a U.S. citizen at the time of appointment.
3) Minimum Age Requirement: You must be at least 17 ½ years old to take the test, and must have attained age 21 to be appointed as a Correction Officer.
4) Driver License Requirement: You must possess a learner’s permit valid in the State of New York at the time of appointment and must obtain a valid driver license from the State of New York prior to graduating from the Department of Correction Academy. If you already have a license you may be disqualified for any moving violation (s), license suspension or an accident record. You must maintain a driver license for the duration of your employment. **Please note that this DOES NOT apply to anyone who has taken the exam prior to Feb 1, 2017.
5) You must agree to and pass a full background check. You may be disqualified for any activities that indicate lack of good character, including but not limited to:
6) Medical and Psychological Assessment: You will be examined to determine whether you
can perform the essential functions of a Correction Officer.
7) Physical Testing: You must pass a qualifying physical test, and may be required to undergo periodic physical testing throughout your career.
8) Drug Testing: The NYC Department of Correction has a strict zero tolerance policy concerning illegal drug use. You must pass a drug screening prior to appointment. Additionally, as a probationary Correction Officer, you are subject to random drug testing.
9) Residency Requirement: At the date of appointment, you must be a resident of the City of New York or of Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Orange, Rockland or Putnam counties.
10) Language Requirement: You must be able to understand and be understood in English.
11) Proof of Identity: You must be able to prove your identity and your right to obtain employment in the United States.
NOTE: For further information regarding the information provided above, please email COApplicants@doc.nyc.gov.
This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program and also meet the education and experience requirements as listed above. For more information, please email the Department’s 55-a coordinator at Darlene.Oxendine@doc.nyc.gov