Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs311Search all websites

Language and Disability Access

The City of New York is committed to ensuring that New Yorkers who have limited English proficiency (LEP) are able to access information, programs, and services offered by NYC government. The Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) promotes best practices to improve communication between NYC government and its diverse constituents; and guides and assists city agencies to improve their delivery of services and information to New Yorkers with LEP. MOIA also provides multilingual materials to inform immigrant communities about programs, services, and policy updates that may impact them; conducts multilingual outreach to immigrant communities; and provides interpretation at events the agency hosts.

Frequently Asked Questions on Language Access

  • What are the City's requirements to provide interpretation and translation?
    • Note: Interpretation is the facilitation of spoken communication between users of different languages. Translation is the transferring of written information from one language to another.
    • The City is governed by different language access laws.
    • Local Law 30 of 2017 (LL30) in New York City is one of the strongest laws in the country and requires that covered city agencies appoint a language access coordinator, develop language access implementation plans, provide telephonic interpretation in at least 100 languages, translate their most commonly distributed documents into the 10 designated citywide languages, and post signage about the availability of free interpretation services, among other requirements.
  • What are the 10 designated citywide languages under Local Law 30?
    • Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Bengali, Haitian-Creole, Korean, Arabic, Urdu, French, and Polish
  • How was this list of 10 languages determined?
    • Local Law 30 requires MOIA and the Mayor's Office of Operations to use Census data to determine the top six languages spoken by New Yorkers with limited English proficiency, and to use NYC Department of Education data to determine the next four languages spoken by New Yorkers with limited English proficiency.
  • What should I do if I don't speak English, need to speak with a City agency, and receive materials in my language?
    • Ask agency staff for interpretation services. City agencies covered by Local Law 30 are required to provide telephonic interpretation in at least 100 languages.
    • If you speak one of the ten designated citywide languages, ask if the materials you need are in your language. City agencies covered by Local Law 30 are required to translate their most-commonly-distributed documents into the 10 languages.
  • How can New Yorkers file a complaint if they don't receive language services?
    • If you do not receive interpretation when seeking services from a City agency, call 311 and say "language access" to submit a complaint.
    • You may also call 311 to suggest additional language services.

Local Law 30 – Language Access Implementation Plans and Reporting

MOIA Website Accessibility Statement

The Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs is committed to ensuring its digital content is accessible to and usable by people with disabilities. We are continually improving the user experience for everyone and applying the relevant accessibility standards.

  • Conformance Status
    • The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) defines requirements for designers and developers to improve accessibility for people with disabilities. It defines three levels of conformance: Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA. Our digital content is partially conformant with WCAG 2.1 level AA. Partially conformant means that some parts of the content do not fully conform to this accessibility standard.
  • Feedback
    • We welcome your feedback on the accessibility of our digital content. Please let us know if you encounter accessibility issues by using the Website Accessibility Feedback Form.
    • If you need assistance accessing a particular program or service, please reach out to the MOIA’s Disability Services Facilitator at 212-346-6047 or Email the MOIA DSF.
  • Assessment Approach
    • The Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs assesses the accessibility of its digital content through self-evaluation.
  • Date
    • This statement was created on February 28, 2023.

MOIA's Language Access & Disability Coordinator

Kenneth Lo
Deputy Director, Language Access
253 Broadway
4th Floor
New York, NY 10007

Additional Materials