MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory Guidelines
New York City is one of the most diverse cities in the world, and the news publications its residents read and consume reflect that diversity.
The Mayor's Office of Ethnic and Community Media (MOECM) promotes City services and programs through partnerships with a diverse array of Ethnic and Community Media outlets and Community-Based Organizations/Nonprofits that serve people across the five boroughs.
Pursuant to New York City Charter § 3302(e), the MOECM has developed the guidelines below setting forth a process for the development of a list of ethnic and community media outlets (MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory) for mayoral agencies to use at their discretion.
MOECM will update the MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory annually, or with more frequency at MOECM's discretion, and will publish the current list on its website. Applications may be submitted for inclusion on the MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory during the year 2022 between October 12th and October 24th.
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ethnic and Community Media Outlets
Pursuant to New York City Charter § 3301, the term "ethnic and community media outlet" means any media outlet that:
- serves particular communities of people based on native language, race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, disability or immigrant status;
- targets a discrete neighborhood, geographic region, or population within the city rather than the city as a whole; or
- falls within a specifically tailored subject matter, as determined by the executive director.
For ethnic and community media outlets that serve a particular community based on native language, the outlet's primary language must be a language other than English. If the Executive Director designates a specifically tailored subject matter pursuant to New York City Charter § 3301(3), such subject matter will be published in an update to these guidelines.
Process for Developing MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory
- MOECM will solicit submissions from media outlets that wish to be included in the new MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory. The submission form will be accessible via the MOECM website at this link from October 12th and October 24th, COB.
- Each media outlet may only submit one application during each annual submission period, provided that applications may be submitted more frequently if MOECM authorizes more frequent submission periods. Please take your time and ensure the accuracy of your information.
- Ethnic and Community Media outlets should submit separate submission forms if they publish/broadcast in more than one category. For example, if they have a print edition and a digital edition, they should submit one submission form for each one. When multiple submissions from the same media category occur, our system will only collect and process the data and information from one of the submissions.
- MOECM will audit submissions to authenticate that the information provided is true and correct. False or misleading information may disqualify a submission.
- Submissions are not complete until an ethnic and community media outlet has submitted a media kit, including advertising rates, to MOECM at email@example.com and print copies for print media. Rates submitted as part of the media kit will not bind or otherwise limit an ethnic and community media outlet for the purpose of future transactions. For print outlets, please submit a copy of your three most recent print editions to the following address:
Mayor's Office of Ethnic & Community Media
253 Broadway 9th Floor, New York, NY, 10007
For the 2022 MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory, such submissions must be post marked by on October 28, 2022. The deadline in future years will be posted on the MOECM website.
- After MOECM reviews and approves the submissions, MOECM will publish the MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory on the MOECM website.
- Submission of a form does not guarantee inclusion in the MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory.
- The inclusion in the new Citywide Marketing Directory does not guarantee any advertising or other business relationship with the City of New York.
- Every interested media outlet should apply to be included in the new Citywide Marketing Directory, even if included in previous versions of the directory.
- Updates to these guidelines will be posted on the MOECM website.
The MOECM Citywide Marketing Directory application is now closed.