NYC Department of Correction
Hart Island Handover Ceremony, Headquarters
- As Commissioner of this agency, it brings me to joy to celebrate and congratulate all of the officers and staff that have been at the forefront of the day to day operations at Hart Island.
- Today marks the end of one chapter and the birth of a new one for our agency. Today, we bid farewell to our operations at this Hart Island and hello to its new beginning.
- This historic space has been part of DOC’s rich history for quite some time. When it was announced that this space would be transitioned to the NYC Parks Department, it was a bittersweet moment. Hart Island has been ground zero for grief and despair, especially during the height of the pandemic. It was a dismal period, but as always, DOC rose to the occasion when the city needed you most.
- For so many of you, you’ve spent a large part of your career at DOC at this sacred ground. You’ve been a pillar of support and strength to the families that have elected for a city burial. Take honor in knowing that you’ve provided families with dignity in their darkest hours. Whether you offered a word of encouragement or assisted families in reclaiming the remains of their loved ones, your efforts are and will forever be appreciated.
- Today, I thank you, I salute you and I commend you all on a job well done.