Block Parties and Street Activities

Applying for a Block Party Permit

Applications must be filed at least 60 days in advance. Applying for a block party is a two-step process:

  1. Fill out an online application by visiting the City's Street Activity Permit Office website. You will need to pay a fee using a credit card.
  2. Provide the CB9 District Office with signatures from at least 20 of the residents who live on the block to demonstrate that they've consented to the closure of the block. You can mail, fax, or email a copy of the signature sheet to

No applications will be approved without the required signatures, which MUST have the resident's name, address, and a daytime phone number.

Sound permits, should you plan to have amplified sound, may be obtained at the local precinct (71st Precinct, 421 Empire Boulevard) no later than 10 days before the event. The fee is $25.00 per block party. All sound permits expire at 7:00pm.

No applications will be approved on the following dates including, but not limited to, Parades, Street Permits, Religious Ceremonies, and Clean-ups:

  • All Major Holidays
  • Labor Day Parade Weekend

The 71st Precinct also maintains a street closing Denied List. Please check the status of your block before applying or call the Board's Office at (718) 778-9279 for assistance.

Multi-block and/or Multi-day Events/or Special Events

All applications for multi-block and/or multi-day street events should be filed with the Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO) no later than December 31st of the preceding year of the event. Please be advised that rain dates or other forms of make-up dates will not be accepted for multi-day and/or multi-block events.

Please Note: All Special Events to be held in the current year must be submitted before December 31st the previous year. (For example, if you plan to hold an event in August 2023, your application must be filed with the Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO) no later than December 31st, 2022.)

If you have any questions, please call the Board's Office at 718-778-9279.

Block Party Information from SAPO

A block party is a community sponsored, public event where there are no sales of goods or services. Block parties are limited to one block and one day. If you are interested in hosting a block party, read below for more information or use E-Apply, the online permit application.

When hosting a block party, keep in mind the following:

  • Applications must be submitted 60 days prior to the event
  • Event is limited to 8 consecutive hours on one day and one block
  • Rain dates are not permitted
  • Event must be open to all neighbors on the block; not a private party (e.g. one person's birthday party)
  • You cannot charge a fee to participate or fundraise
  • You may not sell food or other goods and services
  • Alcohol vendors, commercial branding and sponsorships are not permitted at block parties
    • If your event has branding or includes vendors like a food truck or a health screening van, your event may be categorized as a street event or a single block festival.
  • You may require additional permits. All other agency permits must be obtained before we can grant your street activity permit. Examples include:
    • Rides and inflatables, such as truck moutned rides and bounce houses require a permit from the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection and insurance. The ride company that you hire should provide this documentation.
    • Petting Zoos or other non-domesticated animals require a permit from the Department of Health and insurance. The stable or farm where you rent the animals should provide this documentation.
    • Raffles or donations require a permit from the Human Resources Administration
    • All amplified sound, such as background music, musical performances or speaking programs, requires a permit from the New York Police Department
  • Generators require a certificate from the New York Fire Department. When generators are over 40kw they also require a certificate from the New York Department of Environmental Protection