Salary and Benefits
A career with the NYPD means receiving a reliable benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid sick leave, and retirement funds. In addition to a salary, compensation includes longevity pay, holiday pay, and uniform allowance, along with opportunities for overtime.
Starting salary: $58,580
Salary after 5 ½ years: $121,589.
*Salaries above do not include overtime or night differential. Police Officers with 5½ years of service when night differential and overtime is included, may potentially earn over $126,531 per year.
- 27 Paid vacation days after 6 years of service
- Unlimited sick leave with full pay
- Selection of medical benefit packages
- Prescription, dental, and vision coverage
- Annuity fund
- Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.
- Optional retirement at one half salary after 22 years of service
- Annual $12,000 Variable Supplement Fund (upon retirement)
- Excellent promotional opportunities
The Department offers promotional exams periodically for the ranks of Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain. Promotion to detective, as well as all ranks above Captain, are based upon merit. Each of these ranks afford members the opportunity to earn significantly higher salaries.
The NYPD has a special place for those who have served, and we value the training, skills and management experience of military personnel, which is one of the main reasons we actively recruit veterans.
Additional benefits available to military veterans include:
- Veterans can earn GI Bill benefits in addition to their salary during their first two years.
- Police Officer Exam scores are kept on file indefinitely. Upon leaving the U.S. Armed Forces, veterans have 6 months to start the hiring process.
- Veterans can add 4 years to the maximum hiring age, or 6 years if they served during war or national emergency. This applies only to veterans under age 40.
- Veterans can buy back three years of their military time to be applied to their NYPD retirement.
- Officers who are active reservists are allowed 30 paid military days per year, in addition to their vacation time.
Joining the NYPD is not only a great way to launch a career, it’s a great way to enhance your education. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Full salary and benefits are available on the first day of academy training.
- Earn up to 36 college credits from your academy training that can go toward a degree.
- Several institutions offer full or partial scholarships to NYPD members.