Subway Crime Prevention Tips
Below are some crime prevention and safety tips to help keep your subway ride safe and enjoyable
- When you are on the subway platform, the safest place to wait is behind the yellow line, away from the platform edge.
- Be mindful of your belongings at all times – particularly when using personal electronic devices.
- Hold on to your pocketbook – keeping it in front of you, even if using the shoulder strap.
- Keep your wallet out of sight and avoid keeping it in a rear pocket while standing aboard the train.
- Do not place your wallet or purse inside of a shopping bag or other open container. Instead, secure it in a closed handbag or pocketbook, or an inside coat pocket.
- Thefts from sleeping passengers make up one quarter of all major subway crime. Remain alert and avoid falling asleep on the subways to reduce the opportunity for criminals.