Thank you for your interest in becoming part of the 2023 NYC Junior Ambassadors cohort. We are pleased to announce that New York City 7th, 8th and 9th grade educators from all subject areas are invited to apply on behalf of one of their classrooms or after school programs.
Educators taking part in the NYC Junior Ambassadors program are required to include the UN in their classroom / after school curriculum. For example, a science teacher might wish to focus on climate change by developing lesson plans that teach youth about the issue and daily actions they could take to protect the environment (for example, recycling).
Benefits of participating in the NYC Junior Ambassadors program include:
- Free, curated in-person tour of the United Nations headquarters and briefing from an expert matched to the class's curricular interests.
- Classrooms visit from a United Nations diplomat who will provide an overview of their role in New York City and within the international community
- Opportunity to meet with a senior leader from a NYC agency
- Year-end event celebration with the entire cohort of NYC Junior Ambassadors
- Program certificate and additional external engagements with UN and NYC entities
Educators applying to NYC Junior Ambassadors agree to adhere to the following requirements:
- Serve as point of contact for NYC Junior Ambassadors
- Develop curriculum based on the United Nations and your chosen subject area
- Ensure students are present and prepared to partake in mandatory NYC Junior Ambassadors activities
- Guide students through all curriculum activities, including discussions, and other projects
- Participate in mandatory educator meetings/workshops
- Update the Mayor's Office for International Affairs on significant events and milestones reached in the program monthly
- Publicize NYC Junior Ambassadors in your school
- Participate in the year end project and attend the year end ceremony
- At the conclusion of the program, share educational materials, including lessons plans, year-end project with the Mayor's Office for International Affairs
APPLY ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 13, 2023
Do you have questions about the program or application process? Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.