For Immediate Release February 27, 2017



Defendant’s Conviction in Underlying Case Carried Only 60-Day Sentence; He Will Now Serve Consecutive Prison Terms for Violence in Rikers Jail


Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark today announced that a Rikers Island inmate has been sentenced to three consecutive prison terms totaling eight years for jailhouse violence, including slashing an inmate and assaulting several correction officers.

District Attorney Clark said “This defendant was notorious for his crime spree on Rikers Island. He would have only been facing 60 days for his underlying case had he not attacked an inmate and Correction Officers. Now he will serve three consecutive sentences totaling eight years in prison. I hope this serves as a deterrent and reinforces our message that crimes committed in the city’s jails will have serious consequences.”

New York City Correction Commissioner Joseph Ponte said, “The consecutive sentences handed to this individual underscore the severity of the crimes he perpetrated on Rikers and the damage such violence does to the safety of our jails and our city. These sentences stand as a warning: If you attack individuals in our custody or members of our staff, you will suffer certain consequences. We thank the Bronx DA and the court for their work on this case.”

Correction Officers' Benevolent Association President Elias Husamudeen said, "The COBA has for years called for prosecutors to serve swift justice to assaultive inmates who repeatedly commit criminal acts against our officers. Today, justice is finally being served to this inmate and his consecutive sentencing totaling more than eight years should serve as a stark reminder to other inmates that they will do serious time for their crimes committed behind bars. We hope today's sentencing serves as a clear message to inmates in the City's jails that the days of continuing to commit crimes while they are incarcerated will no longer go unpunished. We applaud District Attorney Darcel Clark and her entire team of prosecutors for working vigorously to ensure that justice was served to this inmate. While others talk about having a so- called zero tolerance for jail violence, DA Clark proves her zero tolerance with action. And for that, New York's Boldest are deeply grateful."

District Attorney Clark said the defendant, Carl Henegain, 20, of 1175 Fulton Avenue, was sentenced today by Acting Bronx Supreme Court Justice Diane Kiesel to four years in prison followed by five years post-release supervision for first-degree Attempted Assault. The time will run consecutively with two sentences of two years in prison followed by three years post-release supervision for second-degree Assault on two occasions.

Henegain pleaded guilty to the charges on February 2, 2017. He also pleaded guilty to Promoting Prison Contraband for being found with sharp metal objects on three separate occasions, as well as Harassment for several other minor assaults.

According to the investigation, on March 24, 2015, while housed in the George Motchan Detention Center, Henegain entered another inmate’s cell and slashed him twice in the face. On November 5, 2015, while in the George R. Vierno Center, he repeatedly punched a Correction officer who was giving him water. On June 5, 2016, while at the George R. Vierno Center, he punched a Correction captain in the head and hours later, splashed another officer with an unknown substance.

Henegain has been jailed at Rikers Island since June 23, 2014, when he was charged with second-degree Attempted Murder.He was acquitted of that charge and convicted of False Personation – a B misdemeanor which carried a 60-day sentence.

The cases were prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Travis Long, Sarah Clements and Jonathan Abramovitz, all of the Rikers Island Prosecution Bureau, under the supervision of Sonya Tennell, Supervisor of the Rikers Island Prosecution Bureau, James Brennan, Deputy Chief of the Rikers Island Prosecution Bureau, and Deanna G. Logan, Chief of the Rikers Island Prosecution Bureau, under the overall supervision of Stuart Levy, Deputy Chief of the Investigations Division, and Jean T. Walsh, Chief of the Investigations Division.