This exemption provides a $1,500 reduction in assessed value on a property owned by a member of the clergy. If the clergy member is deceased, an unremarried surviving spouse can also receive the exemption. Co-ops and properties held in a trust are not eligible for the clergy exemption.


You may be eligible for the clergy exemption if:

  • You are now or have ever been a full-time member of the clergy.
  • Your property is not a cooperative.
  • Your property is not held in a trust
  • Your primary residence is located in the state of New York.
  • You are one of the following:
    • An active clergy member engaged in ministerial work as your principal occupation.
    • A clergy member unable to perform such work due to illness or impairment. (Medical documentation required.)
    • A retired clergy member over 70.
    • The unremarried surviving spouse of a clergy member.

Renewing Your Exemption

The Clergy benefit must be renewed annually. The Department of Finance will send you a renewal application when it is time to renew your benefit. You must renew your exemption or your property taxes could increase.


Apply online or download forms from the Property Tax Benefits for Homeowners page.


For benefits to begin on July 1 of the year you apply, you must complete the application and submit all of the required documents by March 15. If March 15 falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the next business day.

Property Owners: You may also be eligible for the Disabled Homeowners', Senior Citizen Homeowners', Enhanced STAR and Veterans exemptions. Read More

Need Help? Contact 311 or  Email Us.