Cadet Corps Requirements & Benefits
To enroll in the Cadet Corps, a candidate must:
- Be 18-33 years of age
- Be a New York City resident
- Be a full-time college student with no more than 100 credits at the time of hire.
- Be enrolled in an accredited associate's or bachelor's degree program within the 5 boroughs of NYC, Nassau or Westchester Counties.
- Have a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 and earn a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
- Be free of any felony convictions
- Have U.S. Citizenship within two years of hire and/or graduation of college - whichever comes first
Click Here to Register
Staying in the Program
To remain in the Cadet Corps, a cadet must:
- Maintain the 2.0 GPA and earn a minimum of 12 credits per semester in a Associates's or Bachelor's degree program at an accredited college
- Take the first available promotional police officer's exam while you are a cadet
- Attend monthly training every third Saturday of each month at the Police Academy
- Work full-time during the summer months
- Have your US Citizenship within two years of being hired or upon graduation from college, whichever comes first
Tuition Assistance and Other Benefits
Tuition Assistance: Receive up to $20,000 in tuition assistance ($2,500 to $5,000 per semester, up to 4 semesters). Cadets who take advantage of this program will not have to re-pay the amount after completing 2 years of service as a New York City Police Officer.
Great Pay: We offer $16.79 hourly wage.
Flexible Work Schedule: We offer full-time summer employment with a flexible work schedule during the school year – school comes first!
Promotional Opportunity: When you take the police officer's exam it will be considered a promotional exam.
The Hiring Process
- Background Check
- Pre-Hire Interview
- Medical Examination
- Standardized Psychological Test
- Job Standard Test
- Oral Psychological Interview
- Character Investigation