Mayor's Office for International Affairs311Search all websites

Diplomatic and Consular Parking Program

Diplomatic and Consular Parking Program

Contesting a Parking Ticket

Parking laws apply to all diplomatic and consular personnel regardless of their immunity status. For diplomats wishing to contest a parking violation, please do the following:

  • Complete a Response Form for Diplomatic and Consular Officials for each license plate.
  • Take a picture of each rear license plate to which a parking violation is attached. Make sure that the picture shows that the rear license plate is attached to the vehicle. The adjudicator must be able to clearly see the vehicle's emblem and the expiration registration sticker that should be located on the lower left-hand corner of the rear license plate.
  • Email the form and pictures to

Obtaining Parking Decals and the MOU

The Mayor's Office for International Affairs, along with the U.S. Department of State, administers the New York City diplomatic parking program. The Office issues parking decals annually and assists diplomatic and consular offices with parking issues throughout the year. To apply for a parking decal for a service or delivery vehicle, please complete the form after reading the instructions carefully.

In 2002, a historic agreement was reached between the City of New York and the U.S. Department of State establishing the Diplomatic and Consular Parking Programs. The programs endeavor to ensure public safety, regulate traffic, and enforce traffic laws, and facilitate the ability of diplomats and consular officers to conduct official business. The Office, along with the State Department, administers the programs by issuing parking decals, and helping diplomats and consular offices with diplomatic parking issues.

Both programs are run pursuant to several interagency memoranda of understanding. Local Law 40 of 2011 requires agencies to post certain memoranda of understanding and similar agreements ("MOUs") entered into among governmental agencies, and accordingly the relevant MOU is listed below, and available on the Department of State's website. Below is also the advisory regarding the annual non-transferable Service and Delivery Decals.