Human Resources Administration311Search all websites

Repaying a Claim

Repaying a Claim

The Claims and Collections Division is responsible for collecting cash assistance or Medicaid balances. This money is owed by current and former HRA clients and/or responsible third parties who received cash assistance or Medicaid. These include spouses of Medicaid recipients who reside in a nursing home, persons who receive "one-shot" assistance, and persons who are found to have received Medicaid incorrectly due to excess income or resources.

Claims and Collections also responds to billing inquiries, researches and documents claims, monitors and tracks the receipt of funds related to these claims, and takes action to pursue the collection of unpaid balances when the clients do not cooperate.

Questions? Please contact us:
Telephone: 718-557-1399
Fax: 917-639-0724


If you are a non-US resident with a Medicaid claim:

Please send payments to:
New York City Department of Social Services/HRA
Investigation, Revenue and Enforcement Administration
Division of Claims and Collections
P.O. Box 414312
Boston, MA 02241-4312

Make checks payable to the "NYC Department of Social Services"

Please include on the check and any accompanying documents, either:

  1. CIN number,
  2. Case Number, or
  3. SSN.

All Legal Papers must be served upon DSS/HRA at the following address:

NYC Department of Social Services
Office of Legal Affairs - SLRLU
150 Greenwich Street, 38th Floor
New York, NY 10007

Repayment Information