Register Your Property

Property Registration

Need help with your property registration? Visit us at borough office registration assistance days!

Who Needs to Register

Property owners of residential buildings are required by law to register annually with HPD if that residential property is a multiple dwelling (3+ residential units) or a private dwelling (1-2 residential units) where neither the owner nor the owner's immediate family resides.

The annual registration deadline is September 1.

Building registrations must also be filed annually or whenever ownership changes or whenever the information on a valid registration changes (example, new managing agent or site management). HPD uses the contact information supplied in the registration for all official notifications, as well as in the event of an emergency at the property.

How to Register

The easiest way to register is by using HPD's Property Registration Online System (PROS). With this tool, owners and managers can:

  • Update registration forms annually or as changes occur. (You still need to print, sign and mail).
  • Create new property registrations.
  • Review and print a building's registration history and any submitted forms.
  • Receive notifications electronically when forms are accepted or rejected.
  • Link to the Department of Finance (DOF) for payment of the property registration fee.

Complete the form

Complete the online form and print it, or complete the form that is mailed to you.  Once the form is completed, mail the form, signed and dated by the agent and the property owner listed on the registration form, to:

Department of Housing Preservation and Development
Church Street Station
PO Box 3888
New York, NY 10008-3888

Pay the registration fee

A $13 registration fee will be billed directly by the Department of Finance as part of your property tax collection Statement of Account, annually due on July 1st.

If you wish to apply your payment to only the Property Registration fee, you may pay online with a credit card at or visit a DOF Business Center.

If you wish to mail a payment, you must indicate clearly that the payment is for the Housing- Property Registration charge and include the Borough, Block and Lot of the property on your check (this information is on your registration form).  Also indicate your Account number, which is the property registration number for your property. Mail payment to:

Department of Finance
P.O. Box 680
Newark, NJ 07101-0680

Registration Instructions are available in additional languages:

After Your Property Is Registered

After HPD receives your form and payment, HPD will notify you by mail or email. All notifications will be sent to the address of the managing agent identified on the form or to the owner if the owner is the manager. If you do not receive a receipt or a correction form within 2-4 weeks of submitting your form, you can check using HPDONLINE or through your PROS account to verify whether you validly registered.  Contact the Registration Assistance Unit if you have questions or concerns regarding corrections or questions.

Failure to Register

Beginning December 8, 2023, and pursuant to Local Law 71 of 2023, Section 27-2107 of the Administrative Code of the City of New York has been amended to include the following:  Any person or persons required to file a statement of registration or an amendment of a statement of registration and who fails to file as required shall be subject to a civil penalty between $500 to $1,500 for a multiple dwelling with five units or less and between $1,000 to $5,000 for multiple dwellings with more than five units.  Additionally, anyone willfully filling a false registration document shall be subject to a penalty between $750 and $5,000.  HPD will invalidate any statement required under this article that has been found to contain false information.  For more information on penalties and fees in connection with Local Law 71 of 2023, please visit Penalties and Fees - HPD (

Buildings without valid property registration may be issued Orders, and will be ineligible to certify violations, request a Code Violation Dismissal, or initiate a court action to recover possession of the premises for nonpayment of rent.

If you receive an Order to register, you must register to remove it. Once your registration is valid, HPD will administratively remove the violation; you do not need to take any additional action. Follow the instructions on this page or on the back of the Order to obtain a registration form or contact HPD with questions.

To view the Notice of Failure to Register. It is also available in additional languages:

Hours of Operations

Schedule an Appointment Online

You may schedule an appointment to speak with the Registration Assistance Unit about your property registration issues. Appointments are available for video-conference, over the telephone or in person assistance from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm.

Services Available by Appointment

  1. Assistance with completing Renewal Registration Form
  2. Assistance to First-Time Registrants
  3. Property Sold to New Owner
  4. Responding to Registration Notice Received by HPD
  5. Certified Copy Request (In-Person) - Note: Maximum Number of Certified Copy Requests will be five (5) per Appointment.

Schedule an Appointment

Beginning Wednesday, July 26th, we are open to the public without an appointment on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 9:30 am and 4:00 pm. You will not be able to enter the building after 4:00 pm.

Contact Us

HPD staff member working with a property owner in an office

Registration Assistance Unit
100 Gold Street, 6th floor, Section: E, New York, NY 10038

Frequently Asked Questions

Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.

What types of properties are required to have Property Registration Statements filed with HPD?

An annual Property Registration Statement must be filed for:

  • All residential properties with 3 or more units, including hotels, condominiums and cooperatives
  • One and two-family dwellings if neither the owner nor any family member occupies the dwelling

What are the penalties for failing to register?

  • The issuance of a notice of information order. 
  • Civil penalties for failure to register, which can be imposed by the Housing Court, range from $250 to $500.
  • If the property has three or more units, you will not be allowed to bring an action for nonpayment against a tenant in Housing Court.
  • You will not be allowed to certify correction of HPD violations or file for a dismissal request or violation reissuance. 

Who has to register?

The owner of the building must register

How do Property Registrations become valid?

Valid Property Registration requires both: 1) payment of $13 each year to the Department of Finance and 2) submission of a properly completed Property Registration Form to HPD.

How does filing a Property Registration Statement help owners?

Property registration with HPD is required under the New York City Housing Maintenance Code. Registration provides owners with an opportunity to be contacted by HPD and notified of any violations and emergencies at the property. Early notification will allow an owner to make necessary repairs and avoid the inconvenience and cost of having HPD perform emergency repairs. Registration may also prevent the issuance of violations and civil penalties for failure to register. Many other city agencies will also use HPD’s Registration to obtain contact information in the event of an emergency and during citywide emergency events, the City may use the contact information on file to provide valuable information or outreach.

When am I required to register?

  • Annually between May 21st and September 1st of every year
  • At any point during the year that the registration information changes
  • As soon as you initially purchase a residential property that meets the criteria for registration

What information must an owner provide to register a dwelling?

The Registration Statement must include owner name; owner business and residence address and phone number; if the owner of a multiple dwelling is a corporation the names and addresses of any person whose share of ownership of corporation exceeds 25 percent; if the owner of a multiple dwelling is a partnership, the name and business address of the partnership and the names and business addresses of each limited partner whose share of ownership of the partnership exceeds 25 percent; managing agent name, address and phone number; and a telephone number within the greater metropolitan area where an owner or managing agent may be reasonably expected to be reached at all times.

Why is my e-mail address being requested?

Although they are not required, HPD is requesting e-mail addresses to assist the agency with contacting the managing agent and owner. eNotices of Complaint are being sent to owners upon receipt of a complaint. This service helps owners understand what conditions might need to be corrected before an inspection is conducted. HPD also plans to begin sending out eNotices when violations are issued. Owners will continue to receive Notices of Violation in the mail, but the eNotice will assist owners to quickly respond to violations and certify them in a timely manner. eNotices will also be used to remind owners about Property Registration deadlines and information.

Is a United States Post Office box an acceptable business address for purposes of the property registration?

No. For the purpose of the property registration, a United States Postal Service mail delivery box, a mail delivery box maintained through a privately operated mail handling facility or the address at which any similar service is provided is not a valid business address.

Where can an owner obtain a Property Registration Form?

Registration forms may be obtained through the (PROS). Registration forms are also available at each Borough Code Enforcement office, or our Registration Assistance Unit (RAU) can be reached at or 212-863-7000 and is located at 100 Gold Street, Manhattan.

Who is required to sign the Property Registration Statement?

The Property Registration Statement must be signed by the owner, or, if the owner is a corporation, by any officer of the corporation. The managing agent must also sign the Property Registration Statement to indicate consent to such designation.

Does an owner who changes his/her address have to change the Property Registration Statement?

Yes. An owner must change the Property Registration Statement within 5 days if there is a change in address of the owner, a change in the list of officers of the owner/corporation, a change in the address of any of the listed officers, or a change in any of the managing agent’s information. There is no filing fee for updating information on a registration statement.

Who should an owner contact for assistance with the registration process?

Owners who have questions or require assistance with the registration process may contact the Registration Assistance Unit at 212-863-7000 or by email at

What is the responsibility of a managing agent?

The managing agent is designated by the owner to be in control of and responsible for the maintenance and operation of the dwelling and to authorize, on behalf of the owner, the correction of any emergency conditions or the making of any emergency repairs.

Are there any qualifications for being designated a managing agent?

Yes. A managing agent must be a “natural person” over age 21 and must reside in the city or customarily and regularly attend a business office maintained within the city. An owner or corporate officer who meets the qualifications may be designated to serve and can be registered as the managing agent.

What should an owner do if a managing agent dies, is declared incompetent by a court or moves out of New York City?

The owner should designate a new managing agent. The owner will have eight days to file a statement with HPD designating the new managing agent.

I own a one or two-family house that had been registered in the past. However, I now live at the property and I am no longer required to register. How do I advise HPD so that I am no longer required to register?

You should file a Private Dwelling - Not Required to Register form with HPD. Once HPD receives and processes the form, you will be notified that you are no longer required to register. Any outstanding payment for the current registration year will be adjusted.

I own a hotel. Am I required to register my property?

Yes, hotels are considered transient multifamily dwellings.

I own a condo unit. Am I required to register to my unit?

No, as an individual unit owner, you are not required to register. However, your condo board is required to register on behalf of the condo building.

I own shares in a co-op. Am I required to register my unit?

No, as an individual shareholder, you are not required to register your unit. However, your co-op Board is required to register on behalf of the cooperative.

I was a joint owner of a property and the other owner died. What do I need to do to register?

The Property Registration Form can remain in joint ownership with both names until a new deed is issued under the surviving owner’s name.

The owner died and there is now an executor for the property. How does the property need to be registered?

An executor is considered “OTHER” ownership, as indicated in Section 2 of the Property Registration Form. Write “Executor” on the blank line and continue to Section 5, “Other than Individual Ownership” and Section 5A1 “Responsible Person #1” and complete all information. Section 6, 8, 10, 11 and 12 are all required.

My property is not a residential building and does not require registration, but I have been billed through the Department of Finance (DOF) for property registration. What do I do?

If you believe you have received an improper property registration charge from DOF, contact HPD at or 212-863-7000. Provide the borough, property address and the current occupancy of the property. If HPD determines that registration is not required, HPD will advise DOF to remove the charge.

I continue to receive registration notices from HPD even though I am no longer the owner. What can I do?

Owners who have sold their property may request that HPD invalidate their last valid Property Registration Statement by properly completing and submitting (along with required documentation) an Application to Invalidate Registration.

My property does not appear on HPD’s website. How do I register?

Contact HPD at with the borough, address, block and lot of your property, as well as your contact information. HPD will research the property, add the information to its database and generate a Property Registration Form for you.

I do not see a fee on my statement of account related to Property Registration. Why not?

If the fee is not billed during the July Statement cycle, you will not be required to pay until the next cycle. This may happen if your property has a credit towards registration or the property is added as required to register to HPD records after the annual bill is sent.

Common mistakes to avoid when filing a Property Registration:

    • Payment sent with the form to HPD: This will delay the processing of your form, as HPD must then send the payment over to the Department of Finance for application to the property charges.
    • Not all addresses are provided: Residential and business addresses and telephone numbers must be provided for all the listed individuals in Section 5 and 6. The business address may be the same as the residential address (but must be fully written out in the boxes) if business related to the property is conducted at the residential address.
    • Signatures in 11 and 12 do not match the individuals listed in the Agent (Section 6) and Owner (Section 5) sections of the form.
    • Dates are not entered next to each signature.
    • Managing agent business address is not a NYC address. The law requires the managing agent to have a NYC business address.

I already registered my rents. Why am I being asked to register again?

Rent Registration is required by the New York State Homes and Community Renewal. That process is different than New York City’s Annual Property Registration. Rent Regulated buildings must complete both processes.

I need a certified copy of my Property Registration for court. How can I get the document?

There is an $8 fee for a certified copy. Payment can be paid by personal check, certified check, or (if you are picking up in person) credit card.

If your property is already validly registered, you can:

  • Submit a Certified Copy Request form
  • Visit any of our Code Enforcement Borough Offices.
  • Visit our Registration Assistance Unit.
  • If your property is not validly registered and you need to submit your registration and get the certified copy on the same day, you must visit our Registration Assistance Unit office at 100 Gold Street in Manhattan.