Not-For-Profit Property Tax Exemption Renewal Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need to renew my Not-for-Profit Property Tax Exemption?
    Yes, any Not-for-Profit organization that receives a full or partial property tax exemption is required to fill out a renewal form each year.
  • How do I renew our Not-for-Profit Exemption?
    You should have received a letter from the Department of Finance in October with your User ID and password. If you did not receive this letter please visit or contact 311.
  • Do I have to complete the form online?
    No, but completing the form online will provide you with a confirmation email and a receipt of the submission for your records. If you cannot renew online, visit and ask for assistance.
  • Why is it better for me to renew online?
    When you renew online, we send you a confirmation email that we received your form. This gives you a record to keep for your files.
  • How do I access the online renewal application?
  • What are my User ID and password?
    Your User ID and password are in the letter we sent you in October. If you do not have your letter, visit or contact 311.
  • I do not have the letter the Department of Finance sent me; how do I get my User ID and password?
    If you do not have your letter, contact or contact 311. Indicate you need your User ID and password. Be sure to include your borough-block-lot.
  • I want to change my password. Can I?
    Yes, click Change Password on the orange bar at the top each screen and enter your desired password. Passwords are a minimum of six (6) characters including one letter or number.
  • I changed my password but I forgot what I changed it to. What do I do?
    Click “Forgot your password?” in the log in box. Your password will be emailed to the email address you have submitted.
  • My organization name is spelled/abbreviated wrong. How do I fix it?
    Visit or contact 311. Indicate that the owner’s name is misspelled/wrong. The name change cannot be due to a change of ownership.
  • What if there is a change of ownership for the property?
    If the new owner is a Not-for-Profit, it may complete an “Exemption for Real Estate Taxation for Property Owned by Nonprofit Organizations Application.” You can get the application at
  • I submitted the Contact Information incorrectly and I need to change it. What do I do?
    Click Profile information in the orange bar at the top of the screen. You will be able to change contact information as well as mailing address.
  • I received more than one User Name and Password. Why?
    Visit or contact 311. Indicate you have a question about User IDs/passwords and your organization name) or contact 311.
  • The property location address is incorrect. How do I fix it?
    Visit or contact 311. Indicate the location address is incorrect. We will review your request. (Please remember that a property may have multiple addresses).
  • We are going to sell this property; do I still need to complete the renewal form?
    Yes, if your organization currently owns the property, you need to complete the renewal form. If you sold the property before July 1, 2015, in Section One, answer “NO”, type the name of the new owner and the date of the sale. Sign the form and click Submit.
  • What do I do if the list of BBLs is incorrect (either missing a BBL or lists a BBL not owned by my organization)?
    Visit or contact 311. Indicate there is an issue with the Property List. Please provide the correct or missing BBL of the property or properties.
  • I have a Contemplated Use exemption, but construction/renovation is complete/almost complete. Is there anything I need to do regarding the exemption?
    You must submit the renewal form indicating that the construction/renovation is almost complete, and submit a new application for exemption detailing the new use of the property. An inspection may be required. (New applications can be found at on or by contacting  311.)
  • Do I need to submit a complete form the first time I work on it?
    No, you can save your work and come back later to complete the form.
  • I have additional information to provide. How do I do this?
    You can upload supporting documents when you are completing the form. Please note that only: .pdf, .jpg, .jpeg, .doc, and .docx can be uploaded. Each file cannot exceed 5MB. After you have submitted the form, you should visit and provide the attachment. Make sure you identify the borough-block-lot the attachment pertains to.
  • What do I do if I start uploading documents and can’t complete the upload because the system cannot accommodate them?
    If you try to attach a file format that is not accepted, you will see this message: Only pdf, .jpg.. peg, doc., .docx accepted.
  • What happens if I walk away from my computer and haven’t saved or submitted my form?
    If you are in the middle of completing a form and get called away, AND you do not save your work, the application will time out after one hour. This means your work will be lost. Remember to click Save & Complete Later if you are going to step away from your computer.
  • How do I know that my form was uploaded successfully?
    A confirmation email will be sent to the email address you provided.
  • Can I print a copy of my renewal form?
    Yes, once you have successfully submitted your renewal application you will be given an option to print the form.
  • I answered YES to a question and a textbox opened. I typed my answer but am getting an error message. What did I do wrong?
    You probably need to type a longer response. All text boxes require at least 25 characters.