Post-Storm Resources

Post-Storm Resources

The City of New York has developed a list of resources for those who were affected by this historic storm.

Please continue to check back for updates.

Hurricane Ida: The City is Here to Help You Recover pamphlet

This pamphlet (available in multiple languages) includes a verified list of contractors to support home repair and additional financial support for home repair.

Back to the top

Disaster Legal Services

Disaster Legal Services (DLS) provides free legal help to low-income disaster survivors (including homeowners and renters). If you're not able to get adequate legal services for your disaster-related needs, DLS may be able to help.

FEMA provides this service through an agreement with the Young Lawyers Division of the American Bar Association (ABA). DLS may only provide advice and assist with cases that will not generate a fee. For cases that may generate a fee, the ABA may refer you to a local lawyer referral service.

DLS may help with:

  • Insurance claims for medical bills, loss of property, and loss of life
  • New wills, powers of attorney, and other legal papers lost during the disaster
  • Home repair contracts and contractors
  • Problems with landlords
  • Proof of home ownership
  • FEMA appeals

DLS attorneys are not FEMA employees. The services they provide are confidential and they do not share information with FEMA. Learn more

Survivors may call the toll-free disaster legal services hotline number (hosted by the New York State Bar Association, or NYSBA). 

  • Call: 1-888-399-5459 

Survivors may also complete an online form for follow-up.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Disaster Assistance

Visit the FEMA - Remnants of Hurricane Ida Disaster Declaration page for frequently asked questions and additional information regarding this federal disaster declaration and available assistance.

How can I contact FEMA?

Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (711/ VRS or Video Relay Service). If you use a relay service, such as Video Relay Service, captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA the number for that service. Helpline operators are on duty seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and can connect you to a specialist who speaks your language. You can also visit  

What is FEMA assistance and how does it work? Is there a deadline?

FEMA provides financial assistance and direct services to eligible individuals and households affected by a disaster — people who have uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs. The last day to apply for disaster assistance was Tuesday, January 4, 2022.

What documents will I need to apply?

You should have the following information available to apply:

  • Name and Social Security Number (SSN) of the primary applicant 
  • Name and SSN of secondary/co-applicant (encouraged but not required) 
  • Current and pre-disaster address 
  • Names of all occupants of the pre-disaster household 
  • Current contact information 
  • Types of insurance held by the household 
  • Household pre-disaster annual gross income 
  • Losses caused by the disaster 
  • Banking information for direct deposit of financial assistance, if requested

What counts as a household?

FEMA defines household as: all persons (adults and children) who lived in the pre-disaster residence as well as any persons—infants, spouses or part-time residents who were not present at the time of the disaster but who are expected to return during the assistance period.

Can undocumented persons get financial assistance from FEMA?

Yes. Help may be available to non-citizen nationals and qualified aliens. Their status will not be jeopardized by requesting disaster assistance.

A qualified alien generally includes:

  • Individuals who are lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders)
  • Asylees, refugees, or aliens whose deportation status is being withheld
  • Aliens paroled into the United States for at least one year
  • Aliens granted conditional entry
  • Cubans/Haitians who enter the United States
  • Certain aliens subjected to extreme cruelty or victims of a severe form of human trafficking, including persons with a "T" or "U" visa.

A parent or guardian who is not a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien, including those who are undocumented, may apply on behalf of a child under age 18 who is a member of the household, a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien. No information will be gathered on the adult's status.

If you are unsure of your eligibility, FEMA will assist you through the process when you call. You may also consult with an immigration specialist before calling FEMA to inquire if your immigration status meets the criteria for qualified alien.

My home wasn't damaged, but my car/business was. Can I still apply for disaster assistance?

Yes. Visit the FEMA - Remnants of Hurricane Ida Disaster Declaration page for more information.

How do I know what type of damage occurred?

This flash flood emergency was caused by excessive rainfall. Some New Yorkers also experienced sewer backups (when waters re-enter the home because of an excessive run-off into the sewer system) so that may be applicable as well.

All cases are unique. Take pictures or video of your storm-damaged home and belongings. Make a list of damaged or lost items and gather original receipts for those items to provide for FEMA consideration. A complete list of costs covered under FEMA's Individual Assistance program can be found by visiting Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide (IAPPG) (

What happens if I receive a determination letter?

FEMA officials advise residents who registered with the agency for help should read their determination letter carefully regarding their eligibility for assistance. The letter might not serve as FEMA's final answer. You may need to submit extra documents to process the application.

Every applicant can appeal the agency's decision.

Examples of missing documentation may include:

  • An insurance settlement letter;
  • Proof of residence;
  • Proof of ownership of the damaged property; or
  • Proof that the damaged property was the applicant's primary residence at the time of the disaster.

By appealing, you are asking FEMA to review the case.

Sign Up for Notify NYC

New Yorkers are encouraged to sign up for Notify NYC, the City's free emergency notification system. Through Notify NYC, New Yorkers can receive phone calls, text messages, and/or emails alerts about traffic and transit disruptions and other emergencies. Sign up to receive free emergency alerts and updates in your preferred language, register by visiting, calling 311 (212-639-9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY: 212-504-4115), following @NotifyNYC on Twitter, or getting the free Notify NYC mobile application for your Apple or Android device.

Back to the top

FEMA Disaster Recovery Referral Guides

See below for City, state, and federal resources available to support affected residents. Please check back for updated resources as information is subject to change.

Housing Assistance

NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development

The NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development has put together a list of resources for homeowners affected by this storm. View the PDF

New York State Department of Financial Services

The New York State Department of Financial Services can provide residents and business owners impacted by the storm with insurance information regarding policy coverage for losses and suggestions on how to document their losses and safeguard their property.

New Yorkers can call the New York State Department of Financial Services' (NYS DFS) Disaster Hotline at 800-339-1759, daily, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and by accessing the website at

  • Disaster & Flood Resource Center: contains comprehensive info about DFS resources and links to other disaster recovery resources
    • Lists locations where consumers impacted by Tropical Depression Ida can get in-person assistance with insurance-related questions
    • Provides general information about coverage for flood damage and the role of insurers, adjusters, appraisers and umpires in the event of a disaster
    • Offers tips on how to prepare for a disaster, file a claim after a loss, protect your credit, and avoid storm recovery scams
  • Storm Recovery Resources: printable brochure that includes much of the information contained on the DFS Disaster & Flood Resource Center webpage
  • Disaster Hotline: 1-800-339-1759, daily, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for help with banking, insurance and claim issues

U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) Resources

People having trouble paying their mortgage after a disaster damages their home or need assistance avoiding foreclosure can call HUD's toll-free hotline at 1-800-569-4287 or visit a HUD-approved housing counseling agency. These agencies may also help with rental housing counseling, services for homeless counseling, home rehabilitation counseling, and more.

  • The Section 203(h) program allows the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) to insure mortgages made by qualified lenders to victims of a major disaster who have lost their homes and are in the process of rebuilding or buying another home.

Insurance Information

  • If you rent your home, renter's insurance will insure the items inside your apartment. If you are a homeowner, make sure your home is properly insured. Note: Protection against property loss due to flooding is typically not covered under renters and homeowner's insurance policies. For more information, visit
  • If you have a flood insurance policy (either as a homeowner or renter) and experienced flood damage from Ida, you should submit your loss to your insurance agent as soon as possible and begin documenting the damage. You'll need to provide proof of loss to your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. For more details on the claims process, follow these steps from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
  • Anyone in New York City is eligible for flood insurance.
  • Flood insurance covers losses directly caused by flooding. In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry, affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties.
  • Homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage.
  • If you do not have flood insurance, consider buying it to be protected from the next flood.

U.S. Department of Treasury's Disaster Assistance & Emergency Relief Program

  • Individuals who have damaged or lost property in a federally declared disaster area may be able to get money back from the IRS. They can receive faster refunds by claiming disaster losses on their tax return for the prior year. This is usually done by filing an amended return.
  • For more information, visit
  • Call 1-866-562-5227

Operation HOPE

  • Operation HOPE focuses on financial dignity and inclusion. They equip young people and adults with the financial tools and education to secure a better future.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

  • Disaster Assistance: "Help After a Disaster" Individual Assistance applications and claim follow-ups. Eligibility Information: All applicants need a photo ID, household composition information, income or bank information, and documentation of assets. Note: If you have insurance, you should file a claim with your insurance company immediately. FEMA assistance cannot aid with losses already covered by insurance. For more information visit: or visit for frequently asked questions and additional information regarding this federal disaster declaration and available assistance.
  • To apply for disaster assistance and report damage to your property at
  • Call 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. ET, 7 days a week:
  • 1-800-621-3362 (711 or VRS available)
  • TTY: 1-800-462-7585
  • If you use a relay service (a videophone, InnoCaption, CapTel, etc.), please provide your number assigned to that service. FEMA must be able to contact you. Be aware that phone calls from FEMA may appear to come from an unidentified number.
  • National Flood Insurance Program
    • How to Start Filing Your Claim: provides NFIP policyholders with information about how to start filing claims under their flood insurance policies
    • How to Document Damage: offers tips on how consumers should document their flood damage and take steps to stop the spread of mold
    • NFIP Claims Handbook: contains detailed, step-by-step guidance on the things NFIP policyholders need to know about filing their flood claims

Catholic Charities Community Services (CCCS), Archdiocese of New York

CCCS Helpline provides information and referral to programs within CCCS and also to other agencies. CCCS provides a variety of services in Manhattan and the Bronx.

Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens (CCBQ)

CCBQ offers case management and referrals, as well as limited financial assistance through its community outreach centers.

Hebrew Free Loan Society

  • The Hebrew Free Loan Society has set up three new storm damage loan programs for people who may not have access to other forms of financial assistance. These can cover expenses related to storm damage, including repairs and renovations, extensive cleanup and mold remediation, replacement of personal belongings and household essentials, and temporary relocation.

Governor's Relief and Response Resources

  • New Yorkers affected by Hurricane Ida can use the following resources to help with clean-up and restoration efforts. Visit the website for more information.

Business Assistance

The Department of Small Business Services (SBS) offers support for small businesses who experience damage following an emergency.

In addition, the following resources are available:

Post-loss insurance tips for businesses:

  • Immediately contact your insurance company or broker/agent.
  • Carefully read your insurance policy to understand what losses are covered.
  • Take photographs or a video of the damaged areas and assets to help with your claim.
  • Don't remove any damaged property until the insurance adjuster has assessed the damage and made an official report.
  • Make only those repairs necessary to prevent any further damage; if you make permanent repairs unauthorized by the insurance company, they may not be covered.
  • Keep all receipts for repairs and temporary business expenses.
  • To help establish the value of your claim, prepare a detailed inventory of all damaged or destroyed property (item, quantity, date of purchase, cost at purchase, age, and estimated replacement cost), along with your pre-loss photographs.
  • Accompany the adjuster to point out damage during the inspection.
  • If the settlement offered by the insurance company seems unfair, contact the New York State Insurance Department by visiting
  • If the insurance company denies any part of your claim, get the denial in writing, and keep copies.
  • Always contact your insurance company and claims adjuster any time you find additional damage not previously reported.

Food Assistance

Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens

Catholic Charities of Brooklyn and Queens (CCBQ) offers such services as food pantry referrals and case management. Emergency food distributions, resource fairs (see website for dates and locations), and 20 food pantries are also available.

  • 718-722-6001
  • Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Salvation Army in Greater New York

Local emergency food programs including food pantry distribution and soup kitchen meals. Contact the Salvation Army Corps Community Center nearest you for food assistance.

City Harvest

City Harvest provides a food pantry, soup kitchens, and mobile markets.

American Red Cross in Greater New York

The American Red Cross in Greater New York offers general assistance including immediate needs. Call 1-877-733-2767.

Human Resources Administration (HRA)/ Department of Social Services (DSS)

The Human Resources Administration (HRA) ACCESS HRA website and free mobile app allow you to get information, apply for benefit programs, and view case information online. The income-based HRA programs offer move in assistance through the One-Shot Deal program, security deposits, HomeBase housing assistance, financial counseling, landlord and family mediation and community social services. It also provides food stamps, cash assistance, and Medicaid. View application forms in PDF:

Visit The Human Resources Administration (HRA) ACCESS HRA website for emergency help with apartment expenses. After submitting an application, HRA will call you within seven (7) days. Documents may be required.

Community Assistance


IDNYC is a free government issued photo ID card for all New York City residents ages 10 and above and provides access to a wide range of services and discounts. IDNYC applicants' information is confidential. Immigration status does not matter. Renew your card online by visiting To request an updated card or to replace a lost card, make an appointment to visit an enrollment center by going to or by calling 311.

New York State DMV

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) aids in obtaining duplicate documentation such as vehicle title, license, identification and/or vehicle registration. Please note: Individuals will need to go through their insurance if their car has been impacted.

Immigrant Affairs

The Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) helps community members who have lost their identification cards obtain an IDNYC and answers immigration-related questions and concerns. If you have questions about immigration or how to access City services, help in your language is available. Call the Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) hotline at 212-788-7654 from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or email

NYC Department for the Aging

The NYC Department for the Aging has provided a brochure with resources for older New Yorkers. View the PDF

Services include, homebound meals, community centers, case management, and employment services (55+). Eligibility Information: 60+ for senior centers and 55+ employment criteria. For more information call 311 or 212-Aging-NYC (212-244-6469).

Office of Child and Family Services (OCFS)

OCFS provides assistance finding childcare, childcare provider grants, and after-school care referrals. Visit or call 1-800-345-5437 for more information.

Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA)

OTDA provides social services, such as rental assistance, refugee assistance, and assistance through the Department of Disability Determinations. Visit or call 855-355-5777 for more information.

Pet Assistance

The Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) and ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) offer pet supplies.

  • ACC: For assistance with Lost & Found services, call 212-510-7107.
  • ASPCA:

Emotional & Spiritual Care, & Mental Health Support

Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)

The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) offers 24/7, confidential and multilingual crisis support services for those struggling with emotional distress or other mental health concerns, Vibrant Emotional Health administers the national Disaster Distress Helpline for SAMHSA, available to anyone in U.S., including territories, and Vibrant Emotional Health operates NYC Well for the NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, available to anyone in New York City.

  • 24-hour hotline: 888-NYC WELL (888-692-9355)
  • Text "WELL" to 65173
  • Disaster Distress Helpline (24/7 hotline): 1-800-985-5990. For Spanish, press 2.
  • MS text "TalkWithUs" to 66746. For Spanish text "Hablamos" to 66746.
  • Visit:

New York State Office of Mental Health

The New York State Office of Mental Health provides emotional support services for people who are in crisis or have experienced a traumatic event.

SAMHSA Disaster Distress Hotline

  • Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990. For Spanish, press 2.
  • For Deaf and Hard of Hearing ASL Callers: To connect directly to an agent in American Sign Language, click the "ASL Now" button on Disaster Distress Helpline's website,, or call 1-800-985-5990 from your videophone. ASL support is available 24/7.

New York Disaster Interfaith Services (NYDIS)

New York Disaster Interfaith Services (NYDIS) provides referrals to spiritual care providers and trained disaster chaplains. 

  • Call 212-669-6100
  • Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Salvation Army Greater New York

Visit a Salvation Army Corps Community Center nearest you for emotional and spiritual care services.

Back to the top

More Resources

Resources on Flooding & Mold Growth

Back to the top