Department of Homeless Services311Search all websites

Building Conditions

Two DHS employee repairmen talking

To report repairs that need to be made in a privately owned building:

Owners of privately owned buildings are required by law to maintain apartments in habitable condition and provide tenants with heat during the winter heat season (October 1 through May 31) and hot water 365 days a year. These standards are enforced by the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD)'s Division of Code Enforcement.

In the event of an apartment condition that requires repair (including lack of heat or hot water), a tenant should first attempt to notify the building owner, managing agent, or superintendent. If the condition is not corrected, the tenant should call the City’s Citizen Service Center at 311. 311 operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Hearing-impaired tenants can call (212) 504-4115 via a Touchtone Device for the Deaf (TDD).

To report repairs that need to be made in a New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA)-managed building:

Tenants in NYCHA buildings should report repairs to their management office and fill out a work ticket. For more information, visit NYCHA's website.

To report repairs that need to be made in a Housing Preservation & Development (HPD)-managed building:

Tenants should report apartment maintenance issues to (212) 694-2381. For repair emergencies after hours and on weekends, tenants should call 311 and ask for the HPD Central Complaint Bureau.

During heat season (October 1 through May 31), staff are available in the Area Offices for extended weekday and weekend hours.

Visit HPD's website for more information.