Free Help for Student Loan Borrowers
NYC Financial Empowerment Centers
Get free professional financial counseling at an NYC Financial Empowerment Center.
NYC Financial Empowerment Centers are run by the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection in partnership with community-based organizations. Counselors are trained to help students (prospective, current, former):
- create a budget to pay for school;
- understand and explore student loan options, including dealing with old unpaid student loans from a previous enrollment and/or taking out additional student loans;
- handle student loan debt in collections;
- enroll in income-driven repayment plans to lower monthly payments (federal student loan holders only);
- explore loan forgiveness;
- understand loan discharge options;
- get out of student loan delinquency or default.
Counselors can also make referrals to nonprofit legal services providers as needed.
DCWP hosted a series of student loan debt clinics during the first half of 2019. Check out the full overview and findings
College Goal NY
Get free help completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with College Goal NY. Visit www.collegegoalny.org
for a list of event locations.