Morris Park is home to one of the city’s largest jobs centers, with over 23,000 jobs within a half mile of the proposed station. The new station offers an opportunity to support and grow these critical jobs in the Bronx, and better connect the new station to the surrounding communities.
Objectives developed with the Morris Park community include:
Planning for growth while celebrating who we are.
Create a neighborhood center that supports transit-oriented development, area institutions, and job growth
Preserve housing affordability and stability for existing residents and encourage new high-quality housing options for a wide range of incomes and ages, such as area workers, young families, and seniors
Promote fair transit-oriented development that benefits all residents
Make it easier and more pleasant to walk and move throughout the neighborhood
Ensure easy and comfortable access to the station
Create new open spaces and improve and better connect to existing ones
Support the area’s diverse and growing immigrant communities
Make healthy food options available
Meet added demand for schools, police and fire service, and other basic services
Honor the area’s history and promote public art
A Neighborhood Center - Click on the numbers on each image to see descriptions.
1. Limited shops and other retail near station landing
1. Shops and other retail oriented towards the new station and plaza
2. Lack of signage to area institutions and campuses and poor public connections
2. Improved wayfinding and better pedestrian amenities, such as crosswalks, seating, signage and street trees
3. Lack of public open space
3. Public plaza space that creates a meeting point and sense of arrival to neighborhood
4. No pedestrian connection over rail line
4. Seamless bridge connection between east and west sides of rail line that creates a continuous connection between area institutions
5. No housing or offices allowed near station
5. Allow for new housing and offices
Planning to help people get around the neighborhood, the city, and the region.
Understand and explore options to ensure good traffic circulation that allows for future growth around the new station
Make it easier to navigate and walk or bike to the station, other public transit, retail, and area medical, school, and job campuses
Ensure that major corridors are safe, well-lit, and pleasant to walk along
Planning to grow jobs and connect Bronxites to them.
Promote and support Morris Park as a key regional job center specialized in health care and life sciences
Ensure Morris Park remains a vibrant and desirable place to live, work, and shop and that it is able to attract and keep workers
Better connect Bronxites to existing and future jobs at area institutions and in the region
Understand the needs of existing small businesses and identify tools to support them
Detailed recommendations for Morris Park in fall 2023.