Human Resources Administration311Search all websites

Rental Assistance

Know your rights!

Get help if landlords refuse to accept housing assistance.

How we can help:

If a landlord or broker prevents you from applying for an apartment or finishing a lease signing because of how you will pay your rent, we may be able to help. Under New York City law, any landlord who owns a building in NYC with six (6) or more units must consider applicants with vouchers.

We have the authority to sue brokers and landlords to make sure they follow the law.

We do not serve as legal counsel to individuals. We enforce the law and file cases on behalf of the City of New York.

When you are looking for an apartment:

  • Print or take photos of the apartment listings that you find, or write down the website address.
  • Write down the complete address of the apartment you are coming to ask about.
  • Write down the name of the person you speak to or email about an apartment. Write down their phone number and/or email address.
  • Be sure to remind landlords and brokers about the source of income law.

Any documentation you can provide could make building a case easier. If you are refused because of the source of your income, please come to us first – there’s a chance we may be able to negotiate with the landlord and get you access to that housing.

Report Source of Income Discrimination

If a broker or landlord refuses to rent or show you an apartment because you use government assistance to pay rent, that is source of income discrimination and it’s against the law. If you think you have been discriminated against, HRA’s Source of Income Discrimination Unit may be able to help.

Call 718-557-1399