The Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) program offers eligible senior citizens who live in Mitchell-Lama developemnts an exemption from future rent increases.

Seniors can email or mail their applications to HPD:

  • Questions and documents can be emailed to:
  • Documents may also be mailed to:
    SCRIE Unit
    100 Gold Street
    Rm 7M-3
    New York, NY 10038

Please note, the application process can take approximately 6 to 8 weeks. All seniors that are determined to be eligible for the program will be issued retroactive credits to the date that HPD has received their intial application.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for SCRIE, you must meet all of these requirements at the time of the rent/maintenance increase:
  • Be the head of the household;
  • Have a combpined household income for all members of the household that is $50,000 or less; 
  • Spend more than one-third of your monthly household income on rent or maintenance; and
  • Be at least 62 years old.

HPD-Supervised SCRIE

In order to qualify for HPD's SCRIE porgram, you must live in one of the following types of subsidized housing:
  • Mitchell-Lama development;
  • Redevelopment Company development;
  • Federally-assisted 213 co-op; or
  • Housing Development Fund Corporation (HDFC) shareholder.
If you are a SCRIE recipient and your co-op imposes a capital assessment or major captial improvement (MCI), you may be eligible for an additional subsidy. See the capital assessment application link at the bottom of this page.

Please note that if receiving a SCRIE subsidy and you move out of your apartment to anouther SCRIE-eligible apartment, your SCRIE subsidy may be transferred with you (see the link below for Portability Request Form).

All Other SCRIE Applicants

If you believe you meet the eligibility requirements described above, but do not live in an HPD SCRIE building, you must apply through the Department of Finance (DOF). Visit Freeze Your Rent or call 311.

People with disabilities may qualify for the Disability Rent Increase Exemption Program (DRIE). For more information, visit Freeze Your Rent or call 311.

Senior citizens who own homes, condominiums or private non-governmentally supervised co-ops may be eligible for the Senior Citizen Homeowner Exemption Program (SCHE). For questions regarding this program, please visit New York City's Department of Finance (DOF) or call 311.

HPD SCRIE Application and Forms