General Information on Artificial Turf
The Public Design Commission is supportive of the use of artificial turf on sports fields and large multipurpose fields provided that:
- the installation maximizes stormwater capture and detention;
- 3 ½" to 4" caliper shade trees are planted around the perimeter of the field;
- misting stations are provided at sports fields;
- infill, where used, is specified in a light color; and
- the artificial turf is recycled at the end of its useful life.
In general, the Commission discourages the use of artificial turf when it is used as a default in an over-programmed site that does not allow for adequate space or proper siting of viable natural turf.