Conversion Therapy Is Illegal in NYC

Conversion Therapy Is Illegal in New York City

Local Law 22 of 2018 makes it illegal for any person to offer or provide “conversion therapy” for a fee. “Conversion therapy” means any services that seek to change an individual’s sexual orientation or gender identity. Note: This law does not apply to services that provide assistance to a person undergoing gender transition or counseling that provides acceptance, support, and understanding of a person’s sexual orientation or facilitates a person’s coping, social support, and identity exploration and development.

How to File a Complaint

The NYC Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) encourages anyone who is aware of any person offering or providing conversion therapy services to file a complaint. You can file a complaint anonymously.


Contact 311 to file a complaint. Say “conversion therapy.”

Go Online:

  • Visit and select “File a Consumer Complaint.” You will need to register for an account or log in to your account with the City of New York to submit your complaint online

  • OR

  • Visit to “Make a Complaint” (you do not need to create an account).

Note: DCA will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your contact information.


  1. Download and complete our complaint form at

  2. Mail or fax copies of the completed form and any additional information to the mailing address or fax number below.

    Mailing Address:
    NYC Department of Consumer Affairs
    Consumer Services Division
    42 Broadway, 9th Floor
    New York, NY 10004

    (212) 487-4482

What Happens to Your Complaint

DCA will investigate the business and issue a violation if it is found to be offering conversion therapy. A business found guilty of violating this law faces fines up to $1,000 for the first violation, $5,000 for the second violation, and $10,000 for each future violation.