Did you get a Summons/Notice of Hearing (also called a violation)?
The Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH) hears Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP)—formerly the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)—cases. You can find more information about OATH, including its procedural rules, at nyc.gov/oath. Note: If you do not agree with OATH’s Recommended Decision, you may submit a written argument form to DCWP within 30 days of OATH’s recommendation.

Note: On June 23, 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio signed Executive Order 18, which transferred DCA hearings and appeals to OATH. This transfer is part of Small Business First and the City’s efforts to continue to make it easier and more efficient for businesses to navigate the adjudication process by having all summonses issued by City enforcement agencies handled by one administrative law court. OATH will begin hearing DCA cases after August 22, 2016. Read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Transition of Consumer Affairs Hearings and Appeals to the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings.

Would you like to submit a Discovery Request?
At least five business days before your hearing date, you can submit a discovery request to DCWP, and we will respond before the hearing date. Submit your request to discoveryrequests@dca.nyc.gov. Please include your Summons/Notice number.

Interested in settling a violation(s) without attending a hearing?
Get information from our Settlement Unit (located at 42 Broadway, 5th Floor, in Lower Manhattan) on your options and what you need to do.

Did a consumer file a complaint about your business?
Learn how our mediators listen to both sides to help resolve complaints and avoid the complaint being sent to a hearing.

Pay Fines and Fees
Received a violation? Pay fines and fees online

Request for Stay of Default
If DCWP intends to enter and docket a judgment against you in New York State Court based on a decision and order issued against you, you may request a “stay” so DCWP will stop or suspend entering and docketing a judgment against you. Download Request for Stay of Default form.