1. How can I file a complaint against a business?
If this is a consumer complaint, please visit our File a Consumer Complaint page.
If this is a workplace complaint, please visit our File a Workplace Complaint page.
2. How do I find out if a business or individual is licensed by the NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP)—formerly the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)?
Use Search for a DCA Licensee online service.
Note: You will be redirected to a new page. Please scroll to the blue Consumers box. You do NOT need to register an account with the City of New York to use Search for a DCA Licensee.
3. Are there tips/publications for consumers and workers?
Our consumer tips are available by visiting the Get Tips page.
Our educational materials for workplace laws are available by visiting the Worker Rights page.
4. Are there any programs to help me get out of debt, build credit, and/or start saving money?
We offer free professional financial counseling at NYC Financial Empowerment Centers across the five boroughs. Learn more and book an appointment today.
5. Do you offer free tax preparation services?
Since 2002, we have coordinated the City’s Annual Tax Season Initiative which includes helping New Yorkers save on tax prep fees and file their returns for free using NYC Free Tax Prep. Learn more about NYC Free Tax Prep.
6. What is the NYC Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law?
Under the NYC Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law, employers must provide safe and sick leave to employees. We offer information on NYC's Paid Safe and Sick Leave law for employees and employers, visit NYC's Paid Safe and Sick Leave law page.
7. Does DCWP enforce workplace laws?
We enforce key NYC workplace laws and rules, including:
Know your worker rights at nyc.gov/workers.