FAQs by Businesses

FAQs by Businesses




What online services does DCA offer businesses?
Businesses that register for an account can:

  • Apply for new license
  • Renew licenses 
  • Follow the status of applications 
  • Review and update license information
  • Pay violations
  • Cure a DCA violation
  • Schedule a scale inspection


You can click "Auto-fill with" to populate online forms with information from registered accounts, saving time.

If you are a business, you can link your account to all of your DCA records. Note: You need a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to link information about your DCA or DOHMH records to your online account. You can have multiple user accounts link to your DCA records. If multiple user accounts are linked to multiple records, DCA encourages you to:

  • Double-check the record for which you are submitting an online request before you submit the request.
  • Make sure that all users know when you are submitting an online request associated with a particular record to avoid duplicate requests.

You do not need to register an account to Search for a DCA Licensee.

Read more FAQs on using Online Services.

Businesses can also ask questions using our online Live Chat, from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.


How do I know if I need DCA license?
We license more than 51,000 businesses in more than 40 industries. Visit our Apply page to view the list of industries that require a DCA license. 

How can I apply for a license?
Visit our Apply page, which has a description of each of the industries that DCA licenses and outlines the license application process and requirements. Note: You can also request an application packet by calling 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside NYC) or visiting our DCA Licensing Center, located at 42 Broadway Lobby, in Lower Manhattan.

How long does it take to process an application?
If all requirements are complete and satisfactory, we will generally issue a license within two weeks. For applications that require inspections, qualifying exam, fingerprint check, and/or approvals from other agencies, such as Buildings, Fire, or Transportation departments, application review and approval may take several months. We strongly encourage you to prepare your application well in advance of when you want to start operating because operating without a current license could result in a violation and fines.

How can I renew my DCA license?
We will mail you a renewal application and instructions about two to three months prior to your license expiration date. Follow the instructions in the mailing to submit your renewal or visit our Renew page to renew online.

I forgot to renew, what should I do?
You have a 59-day period after the license expiration date to submit your renewal application. However, you cannot operate until you received your renewed license. After the 59 days, you will need to submit a new license application.


When a DCA inspector inspects my business, what are they looking for?
Read our Inspection Checklists to learn what our inspectors look for in your industry and help avoid violations.

How can I schedule an inspection for my scales? What are the fees?
You can submit a Scale Inspection Request Form online. Note: You will be redirected to a web page where you must register an account with the City of New York.

We will bill you for the scale inspection fee after the inspection. Our DCA inspectors cannot accept payment. For easy reference, the fee amounts for scales inspected by DCA are provided below:

  • Scales up to and including 15kg (33lb) capacity, fee is $20 per scale.
  • Scales over 15kg and including 300 kg (661lb) capacity, fee is $40 per scale.
  • Scales over 300kg and including 1,500kg (3,307lb) capacity, fee is $100 per scale.

The fees are set by New York State Weights and Measures Regulations.

What is the Cure Law?
Under the Cure law, a business has the opportunity to certify that it has cured (corrected) identified first-time, signage-related violations and settle the violations without penalty. In order to pay no penalty for curable violations, a business must plead guilty to the violation, correct the violation within 30 days of the inspection date, and submit a Cure Certification to DCA as proof that the business cured the violation.

Refer to your Offer of Settlement letter, which will include information about curable violations. You can cure a DCA violation online, in person, or by mail. Read Cure Law FAQs.

I received a violation and want to speak with someone about it. Who can help me?
If you have a question about a DCA violation or the laws that DCA enforces, you can speak with DCA’s Business Compliance Counsel. Call 311 for the Legal Compliance Helpline for Businesses.



What forms of payment does DCA accept?
At the DCA Licensing Center, we accept payment by check, money order, and credit card. Cards accepted include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card.

Online services such as application fees and fine payments must be paid using a credit card. We do not accept electronic checks. Pay fines and fees online.


  • All credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee.
  • You cannot use a credit card to make an installment payment to DCA.


What workplace laws does DCA enforce?
Local Law 104 of 2015 established our Office of Labor Policy & Standards (OLPS) to be a leader in recommending new policies and programs that protect New York City workers. We ensure that the rules, regulations, and laws designed to improve working conditions are enforced properly and that workers and businesses know and understand relevant laws, including Paid Sick Leave Law, NYC's Fair Workweek and Fast Food Deductions Laws, Commuter Benefits Law, and more. Visit our Workplace Laws page to learn more.

What is the Paid Sick Leave Law?
Under New York City's Earned Sick Time Act (Paid Sick Leave Law), certain employers must give their employees sick leave. For information to help you understand your responsibilities as an employer, visit the Paid Sick Leave Law page.