Special Inspection Agency (SIA)
Follow these Steps to add and/or remove endorsements (special inspection categories) on an existing SIA registration.
STEP 1: Complete SIA1 Application
Complete the following sections on the SIA1: Special Inspection Agency Registration form. Complete all sections (1 through 9). Provide the following:
- Section 1 –Mark Change and Endorsements options.
- Section 2 – Provide SIA registration number.
- Section 3 – Provide agency information.
- Section 4 – Provide information for the Primary Director. The Primary Director is required to submit the SIA1 form when adding or removing endorsements. Provide handwritten Social Security Number. (PE/ RA Directors ONLY)
- Section 5 – Provide information for each Technical Director. The Technical Director is required to submit the SIA1 form when adding or removing endorsements.
- Section 6 – indicate ONLY inspection categories that are being added or removed. When adding an inspection, check the Add box, and when removing an inspection check the Rem box. Also, when adding an inspection category, be sure to indicate Class of inspection. Do not include inspection categories from existing registration that will not be changed.
- Section 7 – Skip this section for adding and/or removing special inspection categories.
- Section 8 – Provide information for Convictions and Fines.
- Section 9 – Provide name, date, signature and seal for Primary Director indicated in Section 4.
STEP 2: Complete SIA1 Cover Sheet
Complete the following sections on the SIA1 Cover Sheet.
- Section 1 – Complete this section
- Section 2 – Complete 2b and calculate fee. Be sure to include the following information when no inspection categories are being added to the registration:
- Indicate $0.00 in the Total Amount Due line.
- Write a check for the processing fee calculated above. The check must be made payable to the NYC Department of Buildings.
STEP 3: Complete Letter Outlining Requested Change(s)
The letter must be provided on agency letterhead and must detail the reason for the requested addition or removal of inspection categories. The letter must be signed by the Primary Director.
STEP 4: Submit Documents
Submit all required documents to:
New York City Department of Buildings
Licensing and Exams Unit
Attn: Special Inspection Agency Registration
280 Broadway, 1st Floor
New York, NY 10007