Sidewalk Cafe Licenses

A business must have a Sidewalk Café License and revocable consent if it operates a portion of a restaurant or bar on a public sidewalk.

They are renewable every two years from the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA).

Learn more about applying for a Sidewalk Café License

View the DCA Sidewalk Café map

CB4 Review Protocol

The community board's review procedure begins after it receives copies of the application and architectural drawings from the Department of Consumer Affairs. Once the CB4 district office receives the application from DCA, the applicant is notified via email and invited to attend the next Permits and Licenses committee meeting. The committee usually meets at 6:00pm on the second Tuesday of the month. To confirm the meeting details, please contact the Board’s Office at (718) 628-8400.

The applicant is asked to post a notice of the public hearing in a visible location, stating who the applicant is, the location of the establishment, and the date, time and place of the public hearing.

The applicant is requested to bring:

  • Photographs and schematics of both the inside and outside of the establishment floor plans.
  • Please provide the CB4 office with an electronic version of the prepared presentation.

DCA provides community boards with 45 days to review and make its determination on sidewalk café licenses. Applicants who are not prepared to appear at the community board's public hearing must arrange to have the DCA hearing postponed.