Regents Charter / Certificate of Incorporation



Education, Department of State
Educational institutions need a charter or certificate of incorporation from the New York State Board of Regents.

The Board of Regents charters the following institutions:
  • a college, university or other institution of higher education;
  • a nursery, elementary, secondary or charter school;
  • a library, archives, museum or historical society with collections;
  • a public television or public radio station;
  • a historical society that does not hold collections; and
  • a cultural agency.

For more information, contact:

NYS Education Department (NYSED)
89 Washington Avenue
Board of Regents, Room 110 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Phone: (518) 473-3131

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.