Psychologist Professional License



Education, Department of State
Psychologists need a license from the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE). This license allows a person to practice psychology in New York State.

Applicants must meed educational and experience requirements, and pass an exam. License holders must meet certain continuing education requirements. People with licenses in other states can have licenses endorsed for New York State. People licensed abroad can use that license to apply for a license in New York.

For more information, contact:

NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
Registration Unit, State Education Building
2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone: (518) 474-3817
Fax: (518) 402-2323
TDD/TTY: (518) 473-1426


Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.