Private School Teacher License or Permit



Education, Department of State
A license is necessary to teach in a private school in New York. This license is from the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE).

Private schools can only hire an unlicensed teacher if an application is filed before the teacher starts. Schools can have stronger license requirements for teachers.

For more information, contact:

NYS Education Department (NYSED)
Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision
99 Washington Avenue, Room 1613 OCP
Albany, NY 12234
Phone: (518) 474-3969
Fax: (518) 473-3644

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.