Motor Oil Regulations



Environmental Conservation, Department of State
Vehicle service and vehicle retail businesses must accept used motor oil and fluid from the public for free recycling. This law is enforced by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).

Businesses subject to this law must accept from the public, at no charge:
  • motor oil;
  • transmission fluid;
  • hydraulic fluid;
  • lubricant product refined from crude or synthetic oil.
Service establishments selling more than 500 gallons of oil per year and retail businesses selling more than 1,000 gallons of new oil per year must follow this law. Businesses can recycle oil themselves, or hire a contractor to do so. Businesses must post a sign stating that they accept used oil for recycling, or information on the contractor that does so.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Division of Environmental Remediation
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-7020
Phone: (518) 402-9543

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.