Nail Specialty License



State, Department of State
A person needs a Nail Specialty License to work on nail appearance. This license comes from the New York State Department of State (NYSDOS).

This license is for a person. The business will need a separate license for Appearance Enhancement.

A person must pass a test to get a license. People can get a temporary license while they wait for a test. A person who has five years of experience or a license in another state does not need to take the test.

New regulations are in place to protect workers. Read "Nail Salon Safety - What You Need To Know" under "Additional Resources" for more information.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of State
123 William Street, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10038-3804
Phone: (518) 473-2492

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.