Motor Vehicle Use Tax



Motor Vehicles, Department of State
Businesses and individuals must pay a vehicle use tax when they register a passenger vehicle in New York State.

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) collects this use tax for the City. Non-profit organizations, such as religious, charitable, or educational organizations do not need to pay the tax. Non-profits must apply for an exemption through the DMV.

Depending on weight, pick-up trucks may register as either commercial or personal vehicles. See the Information for Owners of Pick-up Trucks page for more information.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12220
Phone: (212) 645-5550
To find the nearest DMV location, please visit the DMV's website or call the number above.

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.