Mobile Food Vending Unit Permit (Seasonal or Two-Year)



Health and Mental Hygiene, Department of City
A Mobile Food Vending (MFV) permit may be issued to an individual or business wishing to prepare and/or sell food from a pushcart or truck.
The number of MFV permits which may be issued for use on public space is limited by law. There are waiting lists established for the several categories of permits that are issued. Those interested in obtaining a permit may apply for one only when contacted by DOHMH from the waiting list established for this purpose. Creation of new lists is dependent upon the turnover rate of the existing lists.

An individual or business wishing to apply for this permit must have a Mobile Food Vending License (photo ID badge). For businesses, one of the officers or partners must have a MFV License. Both the license and permit are required to operate a food vending cart or truck.

This permit does not authorize food vending at a street fair or special event. In such cases, a Temporary Food Service Establishment permit is needed.

The MFV permit and the decal affixed to the cart or truck by a Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) inspector indicate that the unit passed an inspection and meets Health Code requirements.

A Restricted Area MFV permit authorizes vending on private property in a commercially zoned area, or on property under the jurisdiction of the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation - it does not authorize street vending. Applying for this permit does not involve a waiting list.

MFV permits require renewal. A renewal application form will be mailed to each permit holder at the last known address of record, requesting completion and return of the form with updated supporting documentation and the appropriate permit fee (if applicable).

Next: Apply

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.