Midwifery Professional License



Education, Department of State
Midwives need a license from the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE).

Applicants must meet education and experience requirements, and pass an exam. Applicants who have not passed the exam can get a limited permit. With this permit, they can practice under the supervision of a licensed and registered midwife or physician.

For more information, contact:

NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
Registration Unit, State Education Building
2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone: (518) 474-3817
Fax: (518) 402-2323
TDD/TTY: (518) 473-1426

Website: http://www.op.nysed.gov/

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.