Fleet Registration



Transportation, U.S. Department of Federal
All businesses that operate large commercial vehicles that weigh more than 10,000 pounds, such as trucks, must register their vehicles with the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT).

USDOT gives fleet numbers to trucks and other large vehicles. Under New York State law, fleet numbers are required. Vehicles for personal use do not need this number.

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) is needed for commercial trucks or buses that operate across state or national borders. New York State collects fees for UCR based on the number of vehicles in a fleet.

Buses or trucks operating between states or countries need Interstate Operating Authority, which is also called an "MC Number." The MC Number comes from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Businesses must register online. Click the following link to register online.

For more information, contact:

US Department of Transportation
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590
Phone: (800) 832-5660
Website: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

NYS Department of Transportation (DOT)
50 Wolf Road, POD 53
Albany, NY 12232
Licensing & Registration: (518) 457-6512
Unified Carrier Registration (UCR): (518) 457-1017

Website: http://www.dot.ny.gov

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.