Fill Work Permit (Federal)



Army Corps of Engineers Federal
A Fill Work Permit is required to dump, place, or deposit dredging or fill material in navigable waters. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (ACE) issue these permits. Applicants must submit a joint application to both the ACE and DEC.

Fill material typically consists of clean earth, dirt, concrete, rock, gravel, stone and sand.

The Waterfront Permits Unit at the NYC Department of Small Business Services administers the City's Fill Work Permit. This permit is needed for any work on City-owned waterfront property. This permit is sometimes needed for work conducted on privately-owned waterfront property. Click the following link for further information on the City Fill Work Permit.

For further information on the Federal Fill Work Permit, contact the ACE New York Division or the DEC.

For more information, contact:

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New York District
Attention: Eastern Permits Section
26 Federal Plaza
Room 1937
New York, NY 10278-0090
Phone: (917) 790-8007
Fax: (212) 264-4260

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) - Region 2 Office
Division of Environmental Permits
1 Hunter's Point Plaza
47-40 21st Street
Long Island City, NY 11101-5407
Phone: (718) 482-4900

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.