Election by a Small Business Corporation



Internal Revenue Service Federal
An eligible domestic corporation can avoid double taxation from the Federal Government by electing to be treated as an "S corporation."

Generally, an S corporation is exempt from federal income tax, other than tax on certain capital gains and passive income. Shareholders must include their share of the corporation's income on their tax returns.

S corporations must file an Election of Small Business Corporation form to register with the IRS. S corporations and their shareholders must include special forms when filing their income and employment taxes. 

For more information, contact:

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
Business Questions Hotline
Phone: (800) 829-4933
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

Website: http://www.irs.gov/

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.