Dental Anesthesia / Sedation



Education, Department of State
Dentists who use anesthesia need a certificate from the New York State Department of Education (NYSDOE).

Three certificates are available. Each certificate has different requirements and limits:
  • The General Anesthesia certificate is for general anesthesia, deep sedation, or conscious sedation;
  • The Parenteral Conscious Sedation certificate is only for conscious sedation; and
  • The Enteral Conscious Sedation certificate is only for conscious sedation in the mouth.
All applicants must be currently licensed and registered dentists in New York State.

For more information, contact:

NYS Education Department
Office of the Professions
Registration Unit, State Education Building
2nd Floor
Albany, NY 12234-1000
Phone: (518) 474-3817
Fax: (518) 402-2323
TDD/TTY: (518) 473-1426


Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.