Continuing Care Retirement Community & Fee-for-Service Continuing Care Retirement Community Operating Certificate



Health, Department of State
Nursing and retirement homes need an operating certificate from the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH).

This certificate is for facilities that provide continuing care on a fee-for-service schedule. Facilities are oriented to the enhancement of quality of life, and not to medical care.

Facilities must provide the following services to get a certificate:
  • nursing facility services;
  • help with daily activities;
  • home health services;
  • a meal plan;
  • social services; and
  • independent living units.
New rules exist for adult care facilities in New York. Operators should be sure to review the rules.

For more information, contact:

NYS Department of Health
NYC Metropolitan Area Office
90 Church Street, 14th Floor
New York,NY10007-2919
Phone: 2124174921


Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.