Chemical or Oil Spill Reporting Requirement



Environmental Conservation, Department of State
By law, chemical or petroleum (gas or oil) spills must be reported to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).

Petroleum spills that meet all of the following criteria must be reported to the DEC by the spiller:
  • The spill is known to be more than five (5) gallons, and
  • The spill is not contained and not under the control of the spiller, and
  • The spill has reached or will reach the State’s water or land, and
  • The spill is not cleaned up within two (2) hours of discovery
Furthermore, by law, anyone with knowledge of a petroleum or chemical spill at a facility, such as a gas station, storing more than 1100 gallons must report the spill.

For more information, or to report a spill, contact:

NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)
Division of Environmental Remediation, Bureau of Spill Prevention and Response
1 Hunter's Point Plaza
47-40 21st Street
Long Island City, NY 11101-5407
Phone: (718) 482-4651

Chemical or oil spills hotline: (800) 457-7362


Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.