Certificate of Occupancy



Buildings, Department of City
A new or amended Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) is required if construction will create a new building or will result in a change of use, egress, or occupancy to an existing building. If a building was constructed before 1938 and has had no change in use or additions to the property, it may not have a C of O. Proof of the legal use of a building that does not have a C of O, can be obtained from a "Letter of No Objection" from the Department of Buildings' borough offices.

If no work is planned, building owners must hire a Registered Architect or Licensed Engineer to file an Alt-1 "No Work" application before a new or amended C of O will be issued.

For additional information on a specific property, visit the online Buildings Information System database at the Buildings Information System (BISWeb) link below.

Please contact the Department of Buildings for more information.

NYC Department of Buildings
For contact information, please visit the DOB office location of your borough.

DOB Office Locations:  Office Locations - Buildings (nyc.gov)

For further assistance, please call 311 and ask for: Certificate of Occupancy.
Website: http://www.nyc.gov/buildings

Learn which permits, licenses and regulations matter to you

Use the Step by Step tool to get an exhaustive list of requirements that matter to you.